How do I keep ants out of my house? Now that flowers have started blooming and temperatures have risen, ants often march indoors in search of a consistent food and water supply, making pest-proofing the home an important task to keep ants out of your house.
Our kitchens are particularly vulnerable to a nasty infestation. Not only are ants attracted to the crumbs and spills we leave behind, but they are also drawn to the moisture that sinks provide. Keep that kitchen clean!
How do I keep ants out of my house? We recommend implementing these tips to keep those pesky critters at bay:
- Seal cracks and crevices around your home using a silicone-based caulk.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are functioning properly so that water flows away from your home’s foundation.
- Keep trees and shrubbery trimmed away from the home.
- Wipe down counter tops and sweep floors regularly to remove crumbs and residue from spills.
- Store food in sealed containers and keep ripe fruit in the refrigerator.
- Routinely check under sinks for areas of moisture and repair any leaky pipes.
- Dispose of garbage on a regular basis.
- Keep pet bowls clean and wipe up any spilled food or water around them promptly.
- Store dry pet food in a sealed plastic container rather than the paper bags they often come in.
How do I keep ants out of my house? Some brave homeowners attempt to address an ant problem on their own, but eliminating ants can be a challenge, so if ants are invading your home, please click HERE, we can help!
An interesting tidbit: Ants communicate with each other mainly by releasing chemicals called pheromones. Each scent indicates different signals, such as warning, danger, attack, etc. Ants detect released pheromones through their antennae. For instance, if an ant finds a piece of candy laying on top of your kitchen counter, it will leave a pheromone trail to the candy so other ants can find it and then it’s Katy bar the door! For some more interesting facts about our neighbors, the ants, click HERE.Tags: ant control, ants, Baton Rouge, bugs, camel crickets, carpet beetles, centipedes, Charlotte, Chattanooga, Cincinnati, Cincinnatti, clear defense, cleardefense, cleardefense pest control, cockroaches, Columbia, Durham, earwigs, exterminate, exterminator, fire ants, German cockroaches, Greensboro, Greer, Huntsville, infestation, insects, Kansas City, Knoxville, male mosquito, mice, mosquito, mosquito hawk, mosquitoes, Nashville, odorous house ants, pest control, pests, Raleigh, Raleigh Durham, rat, rats, Richmond, termites, velvet ant, Winston Salem, wolf spider